Aero Data importance?

How important is wind tunnel data to people who have researched others manufacturers that publish data or from independent tests? I am not a triathlete so not in “clean air” for long durations. Most of my road races are in packs so aero gains are minimized unless I get in break or on the front for long time. Is grams of drag at different yaw angles a big deciding factor in race wheel choice?

What we’ve learned from Tokyowheel not having published wind tunnel data is that it is important to customers. Even just as a purchasing comparison metric, if nothing else. We all need comparison data to make an informed decision.

@attilashelton , you and I have discussed the need for a more thorough testing. This is one reason why Tokyowheel hasn’t published testing data. We have Paralysis by analysis. Knowing that two companies aero data can not be directly compared due to the different circumstances of the tests, has caused us to stall on this topic.

Also we acknowledge that any testing we do will be inherently biased (or at least heavily suspected of being biased).

I have created a thread on slowtwitch and roadbikereview to gauge interest in unbiased wheel testing http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=5144376

Through this post I have connected with a team that is running wind tunnel tests in San Diego. We are discussing the merits of adding Tokyowheels into their tests (at least having someone else run the test would remove some bias.

I would also like to see rim stiffness and braking performance factored in with things like price, warranty, etc to create a useful comparison metric.

For braking performance and stiffness we could run different makers wheels through our Digital Testing Lab braking surface analyzer and rim stiffness analyzer to get some comparable data.

At a minimum we will join the aero test the San Diego guys are running (in December), and publish the data from that.

Everyone’s comments and criticisms are greatly welcomed. Thanks.

1 Like

this was a great article on aero performance

1 Like