Tokyowheel Customer Service

This is the place to discuss Tokyowheel Customer service, and related topics.

Thanks to everyone for all the great engagement and posts on this forum, and also for the friendly emails we receive each day. When I first started Tokyowheel (2010), we only operated in Japanese, and only sold in Japan. That made it tough for me to respond to customer emails and phone calls. I am fluent in Japanese, so I could do it, but it wasn’t very easy. Almost immediately I brought on a team Japanese member to help with this, and things were good, for a while.

After a few years (2013) I made the big decision to stop doing business in Japanese and in Japan only, and to switch to English only, and focus on the worldwide market. One of the main reasons for this was that I wanted to communicate better with customers. That was a difficult transition, and at that time i committed to supporting the next 1,000 customers myself.

That was the moment that Tokyowheel gained market traction and became the successful company that it is today. I’ve personally supported much more than my originally intended 1,000 customers, and I’ve really enjoyed it. I think it has embedded a community driven DNA into the company that will be a core part of our identity forever.

At the beginning, personally supporting customers gave a much better experience for everyone. These days we get a huge volume of emails and phone calls, and i’ve become slow to respond in a lot of cases.

So, we’re taking things to the next level! Oscar (@oscareninob) , and Kane (@kane) are two new team members that are going to be focusing on communicating with customers and the community. I think that expanding the team in this way will provide even better support than I was personally able to. Don’t worry, I will still be involved with every customer. Shifting some of the workload to the team, will allow me to engage with the community even better, and in new ways, so look forward to that.

So, welcome our new team members, and let me know your ideas how we can provide better customer service and community engagement.

I am going to do my best to communicate more with the public community, and share my vision, and what we are working on as a team.

One thing that has been discussed somewhat via our email list, is Tokyowheel International. Customer service is a big part of this initiative, so i’ll mention a little more here.

We are re-platforming tokyowheel.com to a more flexible Ruby On Rails based codebase. One of the main reasons why we are going this is i18n, short for Internationalization. This is the best way to localize our online content to multiple languages. Tokyowheel already has a very uncommon market distribution, spread widely over the globe, and we want to spread that even wider. We will be translating all our content web, marketing, advertising into 30 languages in 2015. A big part of this is local language customer service. We will be adding 30 new team members to Tokyowheel, one for each new language we support. In order to provide native language email and phone customer service. @kane, and @oscareninob are the first two members of this soon to be rapidly growing team. We are now putting our best effort towards developing a training program that will allow all 30 team members to give better quality support and engagement than even I am able to give.

@oscareninob plays a special forward looking role. He is located in Venezuela (More on our how our team is spread out over 8 countries in another post). He is also a native Spanish speaker (and a very good english speaker, as well as a strong triathlete). Oscar is going to be our first non-english focused customer supporter, for the Spanish markets in S.America and Spain.

I will do my best to get information like this out to the community more, I think it’s very exciting, interesting, and a great resource for other global business owners, and entrepreneurially minded people, as well as Tokyowheel community members.

1 Like

Thanks James for the information about the growth of Tokyowheel. For those who have bought wheels and had correspondence with Tokyowheel the customer service is one reason that many of us are so happy with our purchase or purchases. It is nice to see that you continue to focus on supporting customers.

1 Like

Thanks for the intro James - genuinely excited to be onboard. If anyone has anything they want to bring up I’d love to hear about it! You can reach me through questions@tokyowheel.com or PM me here on the forums.

Hey everybody!
I’m just getting back home from Texas, where I raced a 70.3 Ironman this past Sunday and actually broke the 5 hour mark on my first long distance race.
I’m really excited to be part of the Tokyowheel™ customer service and will be reachable through questions@tokyowheel.com where I’ll be more than happy to help you all out on anything you need.
You should all have big expectations on what’s to come in the next few months!

I just checked my email stats. In the past 12 months I sent 4,692 email replies to customers. For a total of 221 hours of email writing! I’m happy to have you guys (@kane, and @oscareninob ) on the team to help out :wink:

Thanks boss - no pressure!

How well are we doing? It’s clear that in general the customer service that I have personally been providing over the past 1~2 years has been awesome. We see it mentioned again and again in reviews. But how can we measure this and assure that it stays awesome as we expand our team?

The answer is Happiness Score, which is available as a metric in our email customer support software Helpscout

We’ve begun using this metric as a way to quantify the customer experiance. It’s similar to the widely used Net Promotor Score. We append a small text snippet to the end of every email we send, asking how the reply was.

These results are totaled, and the happiness score is calculated as the number of ‘Great’ ratings minus ‘Not Good’ Ratings.

Keep in mind this includes customers that have not purchased anything from Tokyowheel, as well as those that have already purchased.

We’re seeing a very high engagement rate (30% ~ 50%) of customers leaving ratings.

As we grow, we’ll use this metric to identify how to improve service. Our goal is to grow our support team and provide insanely great service in 30 languages over the next year or so.

Now that @kane and @oscareninob have joined the team, how has our Happiness Rating been effected?

Kane has been more active so far, so let’s look at him vs me :smile:

Kane 92 vs James 67 . Great job Kane. Keep up the good work!