Tubeless Compatibility?

Our current Epic and Elite wheels aren’t tubeless compatible. We havn’t posted much about it yet, but we will be opening up our next generation product design to discussion on this forum. One aspect of that design is the decision to make a tubeless compatible bead hook on our clinchers or keep the same bead hook that we have now.

Initial thoughts:

• Everyone loves our current wheels so we don’t want to mess up a good thing (I will post more about the changes that we will me making)
  • For cyclocross, and off-road use it makes very good sense to go tubeless
  • For road riding and triathlon, the tubeless tire choices are limited. (We are still focusing on road and triathlon for our next generation wheels, and as a secondary cyclocross)

What do you think? Is road tubeless important for you? Are you interested in running tubeless for cyclocross? Let us know what you are thinking?

Hi James, although I don’t ride cyclocross I have been trialling tubeless tyres on road. I have a set of Fulcrum Racing Zero’s 2-way fit and although the logic of tubeless sounds great, the fact is that on roads that cut more than puncture, tubeless is pretty useless. We have quite a bit of glass around Canberra roads and I have on many occasion come home with a tube in my tyres because cuts are generally too big to fill with the goo. The benefit of the Fulcrum wheels was the 2-way fit so I could put on standard clinchers and save some coin! I am now riding with a set of you Epic 50s fitted with Vittoria Racing Pro Tyres with no problems with punctures or cuts.

In short - tubeless tyre range is limited and don’t live up to the marketing hype. I reckon TokyoWheel should put its R&D money in hubs or something else to improve your product.

Cheers

Steve

2 Likes

Fear of burping for tubeless in CX so most still going tubies to be able to run a very low tire pressure. For those riding >30 psi the tubeless is ok with little worry of burping. Now if you were in the mtb market then tubeless all the way. There is a reason most European pros ride tubulars for CX;until tubeless can be run at a very low pressure the tubies will be preferred.

1 Like

I live in Utah where most of us have to deal with GOAT HEADS (a plantation with sharp thorns). When summer is dry, there are more of them on the road and trail. I have used many tubes because of them and not comfortable to use tubular either. So I tried tubeless on Stan’s no tube Alpha 340 with Stan’s no tube tire sealant and have a very good luck. I have had a few goat heads on my tires and I just pulled it out and kept on riding!. However, the first tubeless tire is not as durable as expected. I had a tear on the tore because of rocks on the side of the road. I am on my second tire and it seems more durable than the first one. The ride is similar to tubular (very comfortable). Yes, tubeless requires maintenance as far sa making sure that the tire sealant is adequate. Given the choices: clincher, tubular and tubeless, I personally will go with clincher or tubeless for my daily ride depending on the road condition. I am currently searching for deep carbon rim (60+ mm) tubeless ready.

1 Like

For offroad, tubeless makes a lot of sense. If there were more tire options out there as good as the Schwalbe One, then onroad tubeless would be much more attractive.

Our current plan is to only offer tubeless on a future offroad specific wheelset (2016). Tokyowheel CORE Carbon Mountain Bike Wheels