UCI Certification

The Tokyowheel Epic and Elite wheels are not UCI certified. We won’t be UCI certifying these wheels, sorry. But we will be UCI certifying our next generation of wheels (2015).

This post is a place to discuss the merits and demerits of UCI certification, as well as participate in the certification process.

Let us know your comments, suggestions, and input. Thanks.

If anyone has friends or connections that may be of assistance in the UCI certification process, let us know. When dealing with governing bodies, all help and insider support is greatly welcome.

How about ITU? Which wheels are legal in ITU races, either Draft or non-Draft legal races?

1 Like

I think some form of certification should be sought, James…if you want folks out there showing off the wheels at races, they need to be legal/sanctioned kit. Even though it is a PITA to get certification, if high school or collegiate teams need to meet UCI or ITU guidelines, then you won’t get market penetration if they need a second set of approved wheels for racing.

2 Likes

What would prevent 2014 wheelsets to achieve UCI certification?

In all honesty, we won’t be seeking certification of the 2014 wheels. That will be something we aim to do in 2016. From our business point of view we do see the value in UCI and ITU certification, but currently we can not justify shifting our focus away from our core business and product development. There will be a point in the future where it makes sense for us to engage the UCI bureaucracy and fight for Tokyowheel’s certification, but that time is not now.

To put it simply, its a matter of time priorities, not money priorities.

This being said, if we were to gain additional manpower bandwidth through new hires or community involvement, that would change our cost benefit analysis of UCI, ITU certification.

I wonder if there are any individuals in the Tokyowheel community (Perhaps in Belgium near the only certified testing lab in the world), that might have an ‘In’ with the UCI, that could streamline the process for us. If that were the case, we would be much more inclined to put our resources into this.

What are your thoughts?

I still think the value of certifications are useless at this stage for TW, since avid racers and pro’s would be using the major branded wheels anyway, until there is more scientific evidence to support the TW lines. With the majority of the riders joining races for “fun” and rules are take lightly (i have joined Challenge and Ironman and have never been truly checked and have seen many exceptions to the rules, even drafting among the "Pro"s that went unpunished) so until we are all looking to win top slots, we don’t have to take these so seriously.

Ever played golf with a Big Bertha driver??? Same story… :smile:

Great point. There are a lot of different considerations on this topic. From the riders point of view these certifications wouldn’t actually change the product in any way (They could be certified as is). And we’ve heard from most of our UCI and ITU racing customers that its not really a big deal for them. From our business side viewpoint, UCI and ITU certification would be a great differentiator, and shall a dare say it, great marketing.

Making a ballpark estimation, I think the costs for us to UCI Certify a Single wheelset would be in 15,000USD range.

The big question is, does a spend of 15,000k (or a more realistic 4 wheelset certification at 60k) with no physical change in the product, or product experience really a justified investment?

Probably yes, from a marketing standpoint, but no from an 80/20 standpoint of what should we be doing now.

For example, I’ve been spending a lot of effort and money building our team and updating our technology to better serve customers worldwide and get our wheels into the hands of people that want to try them. That seems like a higher priority use of capital at the moment.

Considering that we are nearly done with those phases of growth, UCI certification is coming closer on our roadmap.

Feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!