Weight Limits

Hi My name is Bob from Texas, I have been looking at the Flo wheels and was about to purchase a set. I stumbled across the Tokyowheel we site today and noticed the weight limit is the same as the Flo wheels, 242 lbs. I am a big guy and hoover right around 240 lbs. I am looking at the tri set up of a 60 frount and 88 rear. Will my weight be a problem?

Bob

Hi @bobjetlag,
Thanks for posting and asking your questions. I am happy to give some info, and some of the other forum members might also have some input. Before I give details, I’ll give my summary. You’ll be just fine, but we strongly recommend you get the Ceramic upgrade with Sapim Cx-Ray spokes, this will increase the weight limit of the wheels about 10~20lbs. We’ve had a lot of customers at your same weight purchase that wheelset and they’ve all had great experiences.

Here is some extra info. Weight limit is an interesting topic because we set an official limit in lbs/kg but in reality its not a binary situation. Specifically when we talk about weight limit we are talking somewhat about the possibility of broken spokes (which is one reason why we recommend the Sapim CX-Ray spokes with Polyax nipples), but more so we are talking about undesirable flex in the wheels due to the higher load (Which is why we recommend riders to go with a deeper rear wheel, and you’re in good shape with the Epic 88 rear).

Also wheelsets for climbing (Epic 38) are subject to the most strain forces, and therefore weight ‘limit’ is more of an issues. Where as Tri use-case like what you are describing is on the low end of strain forces and is not as much of a concern.

Those are the considerations that we think about when recommending a wheelset to a customer near the ‘weight limit’.

Go with the Ceramic Upgrade, and ENJOY!

Let me know if you have any other questions or need anything. Thanks!

Hey Bob,
I’m on the other end of the spectrum being a lifelong distance runner with the ectomorph frame. I’m a light weight and didn’t notice any flex on any of the 3 sets I own which isn’t surprising since I don’t push high watts but some riders in I believe it was New Zealand rode Tokyowheels for a season and as I can best determine from their post were pushing a lot of watts. They reported some wheel flex and I can’t recall if they experience a broken spoke or not. Look for their post on the forum. As a result of discussions with James and providing feedback Tokyowheel changed the spoke lacing to provide a wheel less likely to flex. Hey, if you’re in the Austin area you’re more than welcome to ride either of my 2 road wheels for a couple of days, Epic 38 or Epic 50. The 3rd set are Elite 38s and my cyclocross setup disc brakes which are sweet but never fit your tri bike. :smile: . I upgraded to Sapim spokes and SILS nipples on all of my wheelsets. I can’t comment on the ceramic upgrade because I haven’t done that yet but I did choose the DTSwiss for the epic 50s and honestly I haven’t experienced anything negative with either the Vapor Hubs or the DTSwiss so if I decide to surprise my wife with a tri set of wheels I’ll likely go for the Vapor hubs.
Jeffrey

Thanks James for your comments. You sold me. I am considering the DTSwiss Jeffery recommended. I appreciate both comments.

@bobjetlag, I am happy to help. Just let me know if you have any other questions, or need anything. Thanks!

Hey Bob,
If/when you decide to pull the trigger and get wheels, please update the forum and let us know what you think. Did you decide to go with the 60/88 combo, clincher or tubular, etc.?
Jeffrey

We’ll do Jeffery, I’ll keep the forum going.

HI, I am in the same weight class (104kg) and I ordered the same wheel set (60/88 clinchers) with the upgraded ceramics already. I will use them for the 70,3 Danang next month and will be happy to share a ride report around Mid May… I ride a Cervelo P3 and the Danang (Vietnam) course is mainly flat.

More interesting will be Phuket laguna (Thailand) in November which will have 2 major climbs in it (I admit, I cannot climb all of them) but I will see what I can report after that. Should my shipment arrive before the end of this week, I will be able to try them out this month as I will be riding the same course later this month, but again, it all depends if they arrive on time…

Good luck at the Danang course. I’m a fan of the P3; it’s a very nice frame. I bought my wife one last year with Di2 and she loves that thing. Hopefully she’ll let me use it for our state TT coming up pretty soon. I’m curious about the climbs at the Phuket Iaguna course. Are the climbs short and punchy or long and gradual? Hopefully your wheels will arrive in time; not sure what your using right now but if this your first set of deep aero wheels you will definitely enjoy them on the flats. Keep us posted.

LPT is punchy! it was my first 70.3 and was well coached to what to ride and which ones to walk in order to save energy. Remember, this being a weight based forum section, we 100kg plus people don’t do so well on hills. Danang and and Cobra (Cebu Philippines in Aug) are both "flat’.
Thanks for the encouraging words on the P3. Short of major saddle sores despite the Adamo, its a great ride (yes, wink change to my more familiar Cobb Jof and review the bike fitting)…

Should we start a new blog on Tri courses???

Good Idea, I’ll make a new post. I’m not sure if you will automatically be able to edit the title, but if so and you can think of a better title to the post, please do so.

Nice, you beat me too it. Thanks!

1 Like

Looks very short and punchy; however, just manage your watts and you’ll do fine.
I’ve not ridden the Adamo but if you know Cobb saddles then you know how great they are. I was going to recommend you test a Cobb Max V-max but you already have the Jof so you golden.

1 Like

@atillashelton Fully agreed on the Cobb saddle. I rode a fast 40km last night with the Cobb Jof back in the right place (under my rear end, that is) and I had no (more) pains. I was able to slip to the front (Just Of Front= JOF) to power up and pushed the Cervelo P3 to 46.8kmph and was able to cruise several km’s at 39-42kmph (don’t forget, i am 104kg!). so yes, feeling good. Still waiting for the new wheels to arrive… and if James is right, I will be able to maintain the speeds longer… (right James??? lol)

2 Likes

Seems like you are in a good power range if you’re cruising ~40 kmph and not taxing your lactate system. You may have posted someplace on the forum but I can’t recall; I’m curious which wheels you are riding right now?

On the Cervelo P3 I still have the standard Shimano R500 training wheels. To date, I have been riding on the DT Swiss 1800 which came with the Giant TCR Advance.
Just curious, are you in the same weight group??

1 Like

I’m a lightweight and have all the properties of a brick when in the water. My riding buddies have nicknamed me two not so nice names. “Tick” and “Small Gas Tank MF-er”. Use your imagination on the 2nd one. I’m 58 kg and much more of a spinner and climber than someone who can just mash out watts for long, long durations. My wife’s Cervelo was sort of a custom build; I asked the guys at Austin Tricyclist to put Di2 on it and we left the FSA cranks and brakes; she can always go lighter in the future if she wants but wheels are likely next. We upgraded the bars from Profile Design that came on it and went with 3T bars. I had some Zipp 60s I received on warranty for another set of Zipps that had a manufacturing defect so I gave those to her to ride. Nice carbon wheel, predictable braking due to alloy brake surface but not light so thinking of surprising her with some Epic 60/88s. The wheels that came on it were Fulcrum Racing 5.5, bullet proof but heavy as a lead brick.

1 Like

I understand that Cervelo makes it no secret that it sells a great bike with simple accessories that they - the customers - need to upgrade. the P3 comes with the T3 Carobon SL Aerobars and Ultegra, but with terrible wheels (even the shop would take them) and the FSA crank and brakes. I also ordered the EPIC 88/60 to replace it to make a quick gain. the original bike weighed 7,3kg with the Alu wheels. I’ll change the brakes to lightweight Taiwanese and the crank for a Rotor and the Tokyowheels which should make it a great ride for the long distances rides (70.3 and Audax).

Remember, further weight off the bike is wasted, as its cheaper for me to go on a diet and shed a few KG…

Next will be to upgrade my GIANT TRC Advance with the EPIC 60’s (or smaller) for my flat rides in Bangkok with the odd hills at the race locations.

Jeffrey, let me know what your wife thinks about the wheels - the before and after. and lets hope some others will join this discussion, not just you and me…

1 Like

Heavy Weight ride review. 88/60 Tokyowheel

Finally my wheels arrived! And like a little boy in a candy store i unpacked my box and brought it to my bike shop to move the cassette, and change the breaks to a SL set I had bought 2 years earlier. My new Cervéo P3 was ready! Note: I am 104kg

After riding 150 km on the training wheels i wondered if I would feel the difference.
Overall: handling and overall,was no real difference in the handling from the regular wheels. I did manage to hit a few major potholes and felt totally comfortable. Accelerations was effortless and speed was wonderful. In the first 2 rides I broke several course records immediately.

Breaking: with Swiss Stop pads (not provided) breaking was excellent, even with wet wheels.

1 Like

Hi there,

I am doing at least 2 times a months between May and Spetember, bike tours between 160 and 220km with at least +1500m of vertical gain and descent.I am riding to and from work 3 days a week on completely flat terrain which totals about 210km a week over summer and top at about 9’000km a year. I am a 189cm for 92kg rider. I use a Cannondale SuperSix Evo 3 full Ultegra (7,9kg). I am a huge fan of the One-do-all concept for any sport equipment that I have.

I am checking a 50/60 Epic clincher Set, but I am a bit concerned regarding the 100kg weight limit since, me+water+food+bike is already above 100kg. Furthermore, I tend to use a 10% rider weight to set my tyre pressure, i.e., I am 92kg, so I set 9bars in my tyres. So here comes my question, is it appropriate for me?

Also, I live Bavaria (Münich), and we often have really dusty/sandy roads here. As soon as we have a bit of moist/light rain (quite often in other words), it turns in this very light extremely abrasive mud (dust/sand/water), how would the braking surface deal with this?

Thanks a lot.
Matt