Wheel bearing replacement

I posted in the ‘Introduce Yourself’ topic in response to Pete61 's question about the hubs and how they roll. I wanted to update the forum about wheel bearing replacement. In summary, I have wheelsets with both the DTSwiss 240 hubs and the Vapor hubs. I hadn’t experienced any problems with any of the wheels until recently. After about 4000 miles (6000 KM) I noticed a slight rough spot in the rear wheel on 1 Vapor set. I only noticed it with the wheel removed from the bike and spinning very slowly. I’m not disappointed nor surprised as I don’t know any wheel that won’t need some sort of maintenance. For wheels with sealed bearings that simply means replacing the bearing that is going off. I contacted Kane at Tokyowheel and opened up discussions. He had bearings delivered to my door so the next step was installation. I contacted a nearby shop and was quoted USD $30 to replace bearings. I decided to keep my $30 and drive into town to my shop (where I’m a regular) and use their bearing press kit. It took me longer to find the right adapters in the kit than to remove old bearings and press in the new bearings. Very quick job and the wheels are again smooth as butter. Totally happy with resolution.

Hey @attilashelton

My riding is generally around 100 miles at 7000ft or a 60 mile with 4000ft always going as fast as i can.

I do prefer rides with equal amounts of climbing and fast flat sections and I was wondering if the Vapour hubs would suit me or if i would need to upgrade to the DT Swiss 240’s?

Great to hear that all panned out for you Atilla (if that is actually your real name ;)). Installing the bearings yourself? I applaud your industry!

In response to @CWayman, I don’t know if Vapor hubs are suitable for you or not. I like the price of the Vapor hubs and bearing replacement was easy but my feeling without objective data is the DTSwiss hubs are superior. That may be in part to the respect DTSwiss garners. Wouldn’t it be funny if both have the same manufacturer’s bearings? When the 3rdGen Tokyowheels become available and we learn pricing info I will very likely go with the DTSwiss hubs.
I’m actually jealous that you have so much climbing so readily available to you. Where we live is fairly flat and the climbs we do have tend to be short and punchy.
If you go with Tokyowheel let the community know which hub you chose and what you think about the wheels after putting some miles on them and how you like them in the climbs and descents.

Hi @kane, real name is Jeffrey. @attilashelton is in honor of my Vizsla, Attila da Hound who was my running buddy for the better part of 14 years. When I say running buddy I mean he would run between 8-12 miles daily with me at 6:00/mile or sometime better. He did this until he got to be about 10 yrs old. I miss him daily and this is a way of me just thinking about him.
Oh, about the bearing replacement. The right tools for the job made it a quick and easy swap. I’d never buy the press due to cost but my local shop generally doesn’t mind lending tools to us ‘regulars’.

Hi, I have been on the Vapour hubs for about 7000km and ride flat and hilly terrain. I am not happy with the endurance of the ceramic bearings and find the smaller flanges on the Vapour hubs may contribute to flex. I have changed bearings 3 times in the rear hub and twice in the front hub, which is not great over the KMs travelled. If I was buying my Epic 50s again, I’d pick the DT Swiss hubs without question.

Cheers

Steve

Hi @attilashelton, I have had the same problems with Vapour hubs. My wheels are in for bearing replacement for the third time in 7000km. James did help when I contacted him when I had issues within 500km - same as you, they sent some bearings. But overall I am not too happy about the quality of the bearings. I have been discussing this with my local bike shop who believe it is because the hubs are designed to reduce weight they have smaller diameter and as such smaller bearings which have lower endurance (makes sense). I wished I had chosen the DT Swiss option - its too expensive to change afterwards.

Another issue with the Vapour hubs is flex. I have to really tighten the skewers super tight to reduce the amount of side movement in the wheels - even when tight I get up to a 10mm flex if I grab the wheel at the top and push & pull it. Also not great, but understandable with smaller flanges.

Cheers

Steve

Hey Steve

Thank you very much for you reply. This information helps me a a lot!

I’m still considering the wheels (50-38) but gradually making my mind up.

Cheers
Chris

Hi @stolk61,
Good info about your hubs. I think the community feedback about the hubs will help Tokyowheel as they prepare to launch the 3rd Generation Tokyowheels. I guess I expect all hubs to perform as well as some old Campy Super Record hubs I had that I rode over 15000 KM and those things were as smooth as could be and only need minor maintenance. I sure wish I’d never sold those wheels along the Super Record gruppo. Big, big mistake on my part; should’ve kept the gruppo and build up an awesome commuter/errand bike.
It will be interesting to see if the hubs are part of the 3rd Gen wheels.
AttilaShelton

Back in July 2015 I posted about replacing bearings in the rear Vapor hub of Epic 38s. The front wheel is now in need of replacement. My local bike shop doesn’t carry these particular bearings so I’m trying to search the internet for a supplier. I need to get a magnifying glass but I think the bearings for the front have 6992RS stamped on them. Anyone ever pulled the bearings on the front of Vapor hubs?
Edit update Used a magnifying glass and the bearing has ENDURO 699 LLB A3 stamped on the seal.

Hey @attilashelton , let me know if you want us to send you some replacement bearings. I’m more than happy to!

Hey Thanks James,
No worries about the bearings. I ordered them from Real World Cycling and already have them installed. Front wheel is rolling smooth as butter. I guess I waited a little to long to service the bearings.
Oh, for anyone who needs to replace bearings in the older Vapor hubs; I learned a little trick from a friend. If you don’t have a bearing replacement tool kit, a few 20 mm washers a couple of sockets as spacers and a rear quick release allow you to install the new bearings with no worries. Already put about 300 km on them and things are good.
Jeffrey

That’s a great tip. I’ve been looking for a good DIY ‘hack’ to recommend to people that dont want to invest in a bearing press. Thanks Jeffrey!

As long as people are careful and get the right size washer and sockets it works great. Now I regret not taking some GoPro video just to demonstrate that if I can use a rear skewer as a press that anyone should be able to do so.

That’s so cool. I’ll give it a try and see about making a video for the community.