Why I haven't bought Tokyo wheels

@gertdalpozzo40 We aren’t planning any price drops, sorry.

I too am a customer and would love to weigh in Its more than a year later and the wheels are
still completely true and rolling beautifully. I’m very happy with this
purchase. The brake track is also holding strong. James and Tokyo
Wheel provide outstanding customer service and a set wheels that go head to
head with other product at two to three times the price with no compromise in
quality. I highly recommend them. By the way I settled on the 38
/50 Clincher set.

1 Like

Which hub did you decide to go with @holsen ?

1 Like

Awesome @holsen ! I love hearing that you’re enjoying your wheels!

Well, I’m still in the market and still a heavyweight. I know that Hunt now offers a 31 mm deep alloy that they say has a 130 kg weight limit (uh, wow!) but I don’t think I’d gain much over my current training set (Campy Zondas…24/27 mm).

I’m sure my Cervelo S2 would look fine in a deeper set of wheels (perhaps even the 7.10s with the Sapim upgrades…but I want J-bend spokes as straight pulls can be a real hassle to replace). I’m still waffling over pure carbons given that locally I have river valley hills that hit 20% and the long charity ride I do every year is in the foothills (8-10% for loooooooong distances). Based on specs and previous comments by James, I would assume the Sapim spoked 7.10s would be fine for my size…how is the braking and the bearing life for bigger folks?

Hey @k200mtbman ,
20% is crazy steep. Where I live we have either flat as a pancake or short but steep climbs approaching 20% but not too many. Short and punchy climbs (like 100m to 1800m) are more the norm. I wish I could comment but the models I have are the previous generation of Tokyowheel so my feedback isn’t too helpful. I’m contemplating about negotiating with my “leader of the opposition” aka my very understanding wife about selling my last set of Zipp 202s and buying a new set of Tokyowheels.
What I can say about the previous generation is that braking was good. I used both blue and black pads from Tokyowheel. I prefer the Zipp platinum pads but they wear out very fast and in comparison expensive and next would be the black pads. SwissStop yellows are very good too but again a little pricey. The black pads are thick so for me and a few other it took some adjustments. They have a lot of dusting compared to the blue pads but as I understand things the black pads are no longer available. Bearing life was been great with the Swiss DT 240s that I have. The Vapor hubs needed replacement after a season but to be totally honest I didn’t perform the maintenance that I should’ve. Sealed bearings doesn’t mean maintenance free and for my daily trainers (Epic 38s with Vapor steel bearing hubs) I rode them in all weather conditions and with my failure to perform maintenance I began to have grinding. I replaced with Enduro bearings and have been good so far and have also added grease after several thousand miles. Since I have not tried the new hubs and bearings I can’t comment so hopefully someone on the forum can give you some useful feedback.
Keep us posted.
attilashelton

Hey @attilashelton,

Yeah, most of the steep stuff is shorter (<2000m), but we have some locally that approach 25% and a couple I won’t tackle on the road bike that hit 30% (that’s a mtb granny gear grind). Most of my riding is long distance solo…I’ve got a nice run out of town (away from the river valley) that lets me run my S2 like a TT / Tri bike (another reason why the 7.10s caught my eye). My only concern would be the 7-10% loooooong climbs on my charity ride (in the Rocky Mountain foothills…so we’re talking 3-7 km steady grinds). Still the weight of the 7.10s is better than the stockers that came with my bike.

Thanks for the note on the hubs…I’ll keep that in mind. The brakes will be the concern…after all, once I get my clyde butt up the hill, I like blowing away the featherweights on the way down :wink: Maybe James or one of the techies will drop in and provide some braking feedback.

Cheers,
K

Hmmm, @k200mtbman,
“Rocky Mountain foothills…”? Whew, just a lot of a bit jealous. Currently in Texas but always dreaming of the Rockies. Are you in Colorado? My wife and I have found many climbs that for us low, flat-landers are what we consider epic. We have found so many climbs; our last summer holiday was near Wolfcreek Ski basin and South Fork. I road that climb each day as part of my ride and I recall it being about 30 km @ 8% avg from town to ski basin and then about another 22 km down to Pagosa Springs (maybe 8-9% avg) and then turn around and do it again. Descending was nuts, rained every day I rode up so didn’t hit mach speeds on the way down but braking was good enough. Due to the rain I honestly would’ve preferred to have my Zipp 101 wheels with the aluminum brake surface but I managed and appreciated the super light Epics on the way up. Good luck with your wheel purchase decision. We’ll be skiing the Rockies shortly and have seen the snow has been great.
attilashelton

@attilashelton,

I’m actually up in Alberta, Canada. The local city has a great river valley path and trail system, but I get to do part of the Tour of Alberta route (Calgary-Bragg Creek-Okotoks area) for the charity ride I do every year. Plus, my work does a Banff-Jasper ride each year and that is astoundingly scenic, challenging in the climbs and wild in the descents (I was pushing 55 mph a couple years ago coming off the Bow Summit…it was awesome and part of the reason I am concerned about braking).

Thanks for the well wishes he on a decision…I think it will come down to building my own (I ride my own mtb and commuter wheels, so it would be easy enough to build a road set…but parts can be a hassle and expensive if you want a custom look), getting something like Hunt SuperDuras (think Zipp 101 like), an alu/carbon hybrid like a Flo60 or something pure carbon like the 7.10s. Each has its own pros and cons…so, decisions, decisions.

Hey @James_Ferrer, you wouldn’t sell just a set of 7.10 rims, would you? :wink:

Actually, with the Sapim upgrade, even the Epic 5.6’s would do me at winter weight…more to consider.

Hey @k200mtbman, thanks for the comments. I’m happy that you’re getting some of the info you need to make your decision.

As for the rims, sorry but we don’t sell rims only.

One other thing that I would keep in mind if I were you, is what happens near or over the ‘weight limit’. Actually weight limit isnt a hard number, and there is nothing that happens the moment you weigh more than the limit. What you’re going to experiance is wheel flex. Above the weight limits you may have an undesirable amount of wheel flex. One of the easiest things you can do to combat this is put your QR skewers on super tight. Also, if your have really tight clearance with larger tires on the rear wheel you could go down a size in tires to avoid rub where the chain stays and the seat stays meet.

Usually we match the Cervelo S2 to the EPIC 5.6’s and yes I would recommend upgrading those spokes. Let me know if you have any other questions or need any thing! Thanks again for posting on the forum, we all love to help you.

I am a user! I bought a pair of the 5.6 wheel set and can atest thst they are every bit what they were sold to be! I have had them know about 6 months and put over 1,000 miles on them without a single problem and let me tell you i have had my rides over some real nice smooth and then some real hard stuff! Been involved in some hard crashes and in pouring rain and every time they have stood up to the challenge and are ready to go again.

Awesome @Angel_Castrillo, that’s great to hear!

I was to attend a molecular biology conference in Banff a very, very long time ago but was sick with the flu and had to miss it. My colleague who attended came back with amazing photos and I almost wish I’d made the trip despite the flu.
One question I’ve always had concerns wear of the brake surface. My Shimano carbon\alloy braking and the Zipp 101s have wear indicators; my Zipp 202s and multiple sets of Tokyowheels don’t have wear indicators. I live in a very flat area but would still feel better if wear indicators were present.