XL Hubs and Spokes (Heavy Weight Limit)

Continuing the discussion from Weight Limits:

Hi Everyone,

We’re working on a higher weight limit hub and spoke option, and I’d like to get your feedback. Basically we’re deciding between two directions.

1. Our standard hubs with an increased spoke count of 24 front 28 rear, and an upgrade to Sapim CX-Ray J-Bend spokes. This would increase the weight limit to around 270lbs / 122kg

2. A more robust hubset with 28 spokes front and 32 rear. 6 bearings in the rear hub (instead of 4), and larger diameter stronger axels. This will also be with Sapim cx-ray j-ben spokes. This would increase the weight limit to around 307lbs / 140kg

We are leaning towards the #2 option, but want to get feedback. Thanks!

2 Likes

As a user I would like to reply to Bob. I am 104 KG triathlete (240 ish Lbs) and have the 88/60 combo with the upgrade Mavic spokes and the 240’s hubs. I have them on the Cervelo P3 and have used them for 3 half ironman’s and 3 Olympic aside from training rides.

In short, their stiffness is just right, but there is quite a lot of flex (in the current model) that can lead to touching the breaks but only when you really get our of the saddle which rarely happens on these rides. I use the 60/60 combo in the Road bike and do feel when I climb that is gets some resistance from the break pads, but its been minimal - but some might add that any resistance is too much.

As for solid and stability, I rode with heave seaside winds in Cebu, Philippines and had an easy control. On one occasion I had to make a quick side escape , hit some major bump in the road causing me to lose all steering with my hands, dangled with my tummy on the bar and my right leg unclipped , knee hitting the spokes… despite all this i was able to correct and did not crash. So for me, sturdiness - excellent; Control - excellent. Flex - too much for serious climbing but great for Tri’s. (you can refer to some of my race reports for reference)

1 Like

The second option seems plausible provided this option doesn’t affect performance relative to option1. Are there any reasons to believe that it would?

My concern is stopping. It is easy to up the weight limit on wheels, but my recent ride from Banff to Jasper in the Canadian Rockies has reminded me that you need to stop afterwards. Any thoughts to upgrading the brake track for these XL wheels?

After all…trying to haul a 250 lb+ rider down from 65+ km/h is going to generate serious heat, which is less than friendly to a carbon rim.

The performance sacrifice would be in mass, and somewhat in aerodynamics of spoke turbulence. The additional Mass of the 8 extra spokes(+40g) and the more robust hubs (+200g). As you all probably realize, that additional mass on the hubs doesn’t contribute as much to rotational inertia as mass on the rim, and that additional mass of the larger axels is non-rotating mass, as is some of the bearing mass.